Live births in the region mostly attended by physicians
Ilocos Region registered a total of 5,328 births in May 2021.
There were 4,611 total registered live births that were attended by medical practitioners, who may either be a physician, a nurse, or a midwife.
Physicians topped the list of attendants at birth with 2,826 registered live births.
Midwives attended to 839 registered live births in the region while nurses attended to 946 registered live births.
La Union: Highest percentage of birth deliveries attended by health professionals
La Union had the highest percentage of birth deliveries attended by health professionals with 91 percent of the total registered live births in the province.
Ilocos Norte with 88 percent and Ilocos Sur followed with 87 percent then Pangasinan with 85 percent.
Of the total 4,611 registered live births that were attended by medical practitioners in the region, Pangasinan had the most registered live births attended by medical practitioners with 61 percent (2,835 registered live births).
La Union followed with 15 percent (701 registered live births) then Ilocos Sur with 12 percent (556 registered live births) and lastly, Ilocos Norte with 11 percent (519 registered live births).
Less than one thousand births attended at birth by unlicensed midwives
• There were 713 registered live births in the region in May 2021 who were attended at birth by unlicensed midwives.
• Fifteen percent of Pangasinan’s registered live births were attended at birth by unlicensed midwives in the province.
• Ilocos Sur registered 81 live births attended at birth by unlicensed midwives. This is 13 percent of the total registered live births in the province.
• Ilocos Norte registered 71 live births (12 percent) who were attended by unlicensed midwives.
• La Union had nine percent or 69 registered live births attended by unlicensed midwives in May 2021.
Number of teenage mothers reached almost five hundred
• The registered live births in the region were mostly born to parents aged 25 to 29 years old. The highest proportion of fathers and mothers belonged to age group 25 to 29 years old with 27 percent and 29 percent, respectively.
• The region registered a total of 470 live births born to mothers under 20 years of age.
• The region also noted 177 fathers who are under twenty years old.
• The median age of mothers was 27 years old. This means that half the number of mothers was younger than 27 years old and half was older than 27 years old.
• The median age of fathers was 30 years old.
More than half of registered live births in the region were illegitimate
• More than half (57 percent) or 3,058 of the total registered live births in May 2021 were born illegitimate.
• Mothers belonging in the age group 20 to 24 recorded the highest number of illegitimate children with 950 births or 31 percent. It was followed by age group
25 to 29 with 769 births (25 percent).
• Meanwhile, mothers at age group 25 to 29 recorded the highest number of legitimate children with 749 births (33 percent), followed by age group of 30 to 34 with 604 births (27 percent), and age group 35 to 39 with 365 births