Data on births presented in this release were obtained from the Certificates of Live Birth (Municipal Form 102) that were registered at the Office of the City/Municipal Civil Registrars and forwarded to the Philippine Statistics Authority - Provincial Statistical Offices in Ilocos Region. Information included births registered in December 2019 and in December 2020.
Live births in the region mostly attended by physicians
- Ilocos Region registered a total of 7,146 births in December 2020.
- There were 6,324 total registered live births that were attended by medical practitioners, who may either be a physician, a nurse, or a midwife.
- Physicians topped the list of attendants at birth with 5,250 registered live births.
- Midwives attended to 1,062 registered live births in the region while nurses only attended to 12 registered live births.
Ilocos Norte: highest percentage of birth deliveries attended by health professionals
- Ilocos Norte had the highest percentage of birth deliveries attended by health professionals with 94.2 percent of the total registered live births in the province.
- La Union followed with 93.6 percent, Ilocos Sur with 87.6 percent and Pangasinan with 86.5 percent.
- Of the total 6,324 registered live births that were attended by medical practitioners in the region, Pangasinan had the most registered live births at 60.6 percent or with 3,835.
- La Union followed at 1,125 registered live births or 17.8 percent then both Ilocos Sur and Ilocos Norte with 759 (12.0 percent) and 605 (9.6 percent) registered live births, respectively.
More than six hundred births attended at birth by unlicensed midwives
- There were 805 registered live births in the region this December 2020 who were attended at birth by unlicensed midwives.
- Pangasinan registered 594 live births attended at birth by unlicensed midwives. That is 13.4 percent of the total registered live births in the province.
- Ilocos Sur had 102 registered live births or 11.8 percent attended at birth by unlicensed midwives in the province.
- La Union registered 73 live births (6.1 percent) who were attended by unlicensed midwives.
- Ilocos Norte had 5.6 percent or 36 registered live births attended by unlicensed midwives in December 2020.
Number of teenage mothers reached six hundred
- The registered live births in the region were mostly born to parents who were aged 25 to 29 years old. The highest proportion of fathers and mother belonged to age group 25 to 29 years (25.4 percent and 27.1 percent, respectively).
- The region registered a total of 667 live births who were born to a teenager mother.
- The region also noted 248 fathers who are under twenty years old.
- The median age of mothers was 28 years old. This means that half the number of mothers was younger than 28 years old and half was older than 28 years old
- The median age of fathers was 30 years old.
More than half of live births in the region were registered illegitimate
- More than half (56 percent) or 3,990 of the total registered live births in December 2020 were born illegitimate.
- Mothers belonging in the age group 20 to 24 recorded the highest number of illegitimate children with 1,223 births or 30.6 percent. It was followed by age group 25 to 29 with 1,008 births and age group under 20 with 637 births.
- Meanwhile, mothers at age group 25 to 29 recorded the highest number of legitimate children with 930 births, followed by age group of 30 to 34 with 927 births, and age group 35 to 39 with 545 births.