Performance of Livestock and Poultry in Ilocos Norte, 4th Quarter 2018 (Preliminary)

Issue No.: 

2019-1

Release Date: 

Sunday, March 24, 2019

Livestock and poultry inventory in Ilocos Norte on the 4th quarter of 2018 posted a slight growth of 0.19 percent compared with the inventory on the same quarter of 2017. From 2,029,577 heads, it went up to 2,033,416 heads. The increase was contributed by livestock sector as reflected in Table 1.

 

Livestock sector population as of January 1, 2019 grew by 7.71 percent as compared with January 1, 2018 stock. From 325,868 heads, it went up to 350,989 heads.  This was attributed by almost all of its type except for carabao that recorded a decrease of 2.08 percent. 

On the other hand, poultry inventory went down by 1.25 percent as a result of the decrease of the inventory of layers and native/improved chicken.

For the Livestock inventory, hog surpassed all the other types of livestock with a share of 47.33 percent followed by goat, cattle and carabao having a portion of 22.66 percent, 20.35 percent and 9.67 percent, respectively to the total livestock population in the province (Figure 1).

On the other hand, Native/improved chicken has the major share in the inventory of poultry contributing 53.91 percent while layer, broiler, and duck shared only 25.70 percent, 16.71 percent, and 3.68 percent, respectively as reflected in Figure 2.

By animal type, carabao inventory as of January 1, 2019 was 33,932 heads or 2.08 percent lower than in 2018 level of 34,654 heads.  Of the total inventory, about 33,862 heads or 99.79 percent are in in backyard farms while the remaining 0.21 percent or about 70 heads are in commercial farm (Figure 3).

Moreover, as of January 1, 2019, total cattle inventory in the province rose by 1.80 percent from 70,150 heads to 71,410 heads against the 2018 level.  The increase was reflected in backyard farms by 1.81 percent.

                The number of goat in the province posted a positive growth of 10.16 percent from 72,202 heads to 79,541 heads.  The increase was observed in both backyard and commercial farms, with  46.44 percent and 9.79 percent, respectively (Figure 5).

Likewise, swine inventory as of January 1, 2019 was 166,106 heads or 11.58 percent higher than 2018 stocks of 148,862 heads.  Of the total inventory, 128,153 heads or 77.15 percent were raised in backyard farms while the remaining 22.85 percent or 37,953 heads were raised in commercial farms as seen in Figure 6.

On the other hand, total chicken inventory indicated a negative growth of 2.01 percent from 1,653,817 heads to 1,620,498 heads.  The decrease was recorded in native and layer by 3.13 percent and 6.73 percent, respectively. The share of native/improved to the total chicken inventory was 55.97 percent, while layer and broiler shared around 26.68 percent and 17.34 percent, respectively (Figure 7).

Further, duck inventory as of January 1, 2019 was 61,929 heads. This was 24.12 percent higher than the inventory as of January 1, 2018 of 49,892 heads (Figure 8).

TECHNICAL NOTES

The Livestock and Poultry Performance Report presents the performance situation in terms of inventory of swine and by type of chicken; and volume of production including chicken eggs.  Moreover, data for this special release were collected by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) through the two (2) major surveys, namely: a) The Backyard Livestock and Poultry Survey (BLPS) which is conducted quarterly which covers one (1) of the four (4) replicate samples of the Palay and Corn production Survey (PCPS), and b) The Commercial Livestock and Poultry Survey (CLPS), also conducted quarterly which covers 1 carabao farm, 13 cattle farms, 22 swine farms, 15 goat farms, 6 layer farms and 18 broiler commercial farms and contract growers as of January 1, 2019.

Another survey that supplements the data requirements of the Livestock and Poultry sector is the Compilation of Data Slaughterhouses and Poultry Dressing Plants (CDSPDP).  This is done monthly and utilizes administrative data from Locally Registered Meat Establishments (LRMEs) in the province which is in coordination with the Provincial Veterinary Office (PVO) and Meat Inspectors (MIs).

  • Production - Refers to the volume of indigenous (locally-raised) animals disposed for slaughter which include animals exported or shipped-out for slaughter (in “head” and in “liveweight equivalent”).

 

 

  • Livestock – farm animals kept or raised for consumption, work or leisure. In general, poultry is separated as a distinct group of farm animals. For purposes of census and surveys, livestock covers only those that are tended and raised by an operator.
  • Poultry - a collective term for all domesticated avian for the purpose of food consumption or, the carcass of such avian dressed/processed for human consumption.

 

  • Animal Inventory (also, Animal Population) – the number of domesticated animals in head present in the farm at specific reference date.

 

  • Backyard Farm/Raiser- refers to any farm or household raising at least one head of animal or bird and does not qualify as a commercial farm.

 

  • Commercial Livestock Farm/Operator - refers to any livestock operator or farm which operation satisfies at least one of the following conditions: a) at least 21 head of adults and zero young b) at least 41 head of young animals c) at least 10 head of adults and 22 head of young animals.

 

  • Commercial Poultry Farm/Operator- refers to any poultry operator or farm which operation satisfies at least one of the following conditions: a) 500 layers or 1,000 broilers b) 100 layers and 100 broilers if raised in combination c) 100 head of duck regardless of age.

 

 

 

SGD. ALEJANDRO G. RAPACON, JR.

Chief Statistical Specialist

 

 

 

Document Type: 

PDF

Attachments: 

Division/Unit: 

Ilocos Norte