Tuesday, December 29, 2020
The Labor Force Survey (LFS) provides statistics on levels and trends of employment, unemployment and underemployment of the country and regions. It is used for the projection of future human resource and helps in the assessment of the potential human resource available for economic development.
In Ilocos Region, there were about 3,497 thousand population 15 years old and over in January 2020, a decrease of 1.0 percent from 3,534 thousand persons 15 years old and over in January 2019.
Labor Force Participation Rate of Ilocos Region is 63.4 percent
- The result of the January 2020 LFS showed that the Labor Force Participation Rate (LFPR) of Ilocos Region was estimated at 63.3 percent. The region had a higher LFPR than the national rate at 61.7 percent.
- The LFPR of the region increased by 2.0 percent in January 2020.
Employment Rate of Ilocos Region decreased by 3.7 percentage points
- There were about 91.2 percent employment rate in the region as of January 2020. This is 3.6 percentage points lower than the 94.8 percent employment rate in January 2019. Similarly, the employment rate of the country in January 2020 estimated at 94.7 percent is lower than 94.8 percent employment rate in January 2019.
- The unemployment rate of the country raised to 8.8 percent from 5.2 percent in January 2019. However, the underemployment rate of Ilocos Region increased by 0.9 percentage point from 15.2 percent of January 2019 to 16.1 percent in January 2020.
Males dominate females in terms of employment
- Of the 2,019 (in thousands) employed persons in Ilocos Region in January 2020, 62.1 percent were males and 37.9 percent were females.
- The number of employed males in the region decreased by 0.1 percentage point which corresponds to 0.1 percentage point increase of employed females.
Most of the Employed have Junior High School Education
- In terms of educational attainment, in January 2020, 46.4 percent of the employed persons are junior high school of which 35.7 percent graduated while 10.7 percent did not graduate.
- Employed with college level education comprised 26.8 percent in January 2020. About 19.1 percent were graduates while 7.7 percent were undergraduates. Figure 3 shows that there was an increase of 4.2 percentage points in this category compared in January 2019.
- Elementary level had a share of 18.6 percent in January 2020, higher than 18.2 percent in January 2019. There were 11.8 percent who graduated and 6.8 percent did not graduate.
- Employed persons with no grade completed in Ilocos Region in January 2020 were 0.3 percent.
Services leads employment in Ilocos Region in January 2020
- Figure 4 shows that the biggest proportion with 58.6 percent of employed persons of Ilocos Region in January 2020 worked in Services sector. There was an increase of 0.3 percentage point from the employment in January 2019.
- Agriculture came second with 21.4 percent share, a decrease of 2.2 percentage point from the 23.6 percent record in January 2019.
- Industry employed the least in January 2020 with 20.0 percent. It increased by 1.8 percentage points from 18.1 percent in January 2019.
- In connection with the 21.4 percent employed in Agriculture, 19.2 percent were in agriculture, hunting & forestry while only 2.2 percent were involved in fishing and aquaculture.
- Employed in construction with 12.1 percent has the highest employment under Industry Sector.
- In the Services sector, wholesale & retail trade, repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles had the most employed persons with 21.7 percent followed by transportation and storage with 8.2 percent share.
Elementary occupations comprises 30.8 percent
- Majority of the employed persons which comprises 30.8 percent in January 2020, were involved in elementary occupations. This followed by service and sales workers with 19.4 percent share.
- Skilled agricultural, forestry and fishery workers came third with 12.9 percent in January 2020.
- The smallest occupation group was recorded by the armed forces and special occupations with 0.1 percent share.
Wage and salary workers record the highest number of employed
- Figure 6 illustrates that Wage and Salary workers contributed the highest number of employed persons in January 2020 with 65.5 percent. Selfemployed without any paid employee followed with 22.4 percent share.
- Employer in own family-operated farm or business had the least proportion with 6.0 percent share in January 2020. On the contrary, in January 2019, those who worked without pay in own family-operated farm or business accounted the least percentage with 5.7 percent.
Majority of the employed persons worked for 40 hours and over
- Majority of the employed persons in the region worked for 40 hours and over accounting for 61.8 percent in January 2020. This is 3.1 percentage points lower than the 64.9 percent in January 2019.
- The figure shows that those employed persons who worked under 20 hours a week increased by 3.1 percentage points from January 2019 with
- 16.5 percent to 19.6 percent in January 2020.
- On the other hand, those who did not work decreased to 0.3 percent in January 2020 from 0.5 percent in January 2019.
SGD. ATTY. SHEILA O. DE GUZMAN
Officer-in-Charge, RSSO I