Death Statistics of Ilocos Region: 2018 Annual Report

Issue No.: 

2019 - 10

Release Date: 

Friday, April 5, 2019

A total of 35,181 deaths in Region I were registered in 2018.  The figure indicated a slight increase of 1.6 percent death occurrences from the 2017 figure of 34,640.


The province of Pangasinan ranked first in terms of the number of registered deaths in 2018, with a total of 20,373 or 57.9 percent share of the total registered deaths in the region.  La Union placed second with 5,546 registered deaths (15.8 percent), followed by Ilocos Sur with 4,653 (13.2 percent) and Ilocos Norte with 4,609 (13.1 percent).


A year ago, Pangasinan recorded 19,825 deaths or 57.2 percent of the total registered deaths in the region. La Union registered 5,518 (15.9 percent), Ilocos Sur with 4,740 (13.7 percent) and Ilocos Norte with 4,557 (13.2 percent).



Pangasinan reported the highest percent increase at 2.8 percent, followed by Ilocos Norte with 1.1 percent and La Union with 0.5 percent increase. Comparing the two periods, only Ilocos Sur posted a decrease at 1.8 percent from 4,740 deaths in 2017 to 4,653 deaths in 2018.



In 2018, Dagupan City recorded 3,778 deaths or 10.7 percent of the total registered deaths in the region. It was followed by City of San Fernando with 2,334 registered deaths (6.6 percent), San Carlos City with 2,273 (6.5 percent), Batac with 1,413 (4.0 percent) and City of Urdaneta with 1,083 (3.1 percent).


On the other hand, the municipalities of Carasi, Adams, Dumalneg, Sigay and Sugpon had the least number in terms of the number of registered deaths: Carasi with five registered deaths; Adams with seven deaths, Dumalneg with 10 deaths, Sigay with 13 deaths and Sugpon with 19 death occurrences. 



On the average, there was a daily occurrence of 96 deaths in 2018, which was higher than the daily average number of registered deaths in 2017. Mortality was at its peak in the month of August with total registered deaths of 3,147 in 2017. The number of deaths in the month of August 2018 translates to an average of 108 death occurrences per day followed by January and April with daily average of 107 and 106 death occurrences, respectively. The least number of registered deaths was recorded in March with 2,559.



Similarly in 2017, the highest number of registered deaths was in the month of August with 3,147 death occurrences, followed by the month of May with 3,048 and November with 3,031.  The smallest number of registered deaths were recorded in February and June both with 2,687. August 2017 has the highest daily average of 102 death occurrences followed by November with a daily average of 101 death occurrences. 



There were more death occurrences among males (19,683) than females (15,498) in Region I in 2018.  The computed sex ratio during the year was 127 which means that 127 male deaths for every 100 female deaths. 


La Union posted the highest sex ratio with 133, Ilocos Norte ranked second with 129 and followed by Pangasinan with 126.  The lowest computed sex ratio of 124 male deaths per 100 female deaths was noted in Ilocos Sur.



Out of the 35,181 registered deaths in 2018, more than half (55.5 percent or 19,533 registered deaths) were attended by medical authorities. The remaining 44.5 percent or 15,648 registered deaths did not get medical attendance. 


Ilocos Norte recorded the highest percentage of deaths attended by medical authorities with 74.8 percent of the total registered deaths in the province followed by La Union with 60.6 percent and Pangasinan with 51.8 percent and Ilocos Sur with 46.8 percent.






Explanatory Notes


Data on deaths presented in this release were obtained from the Certificates of Death (Municipal Form 103) that were registered at the Office of the City/Municipal Civil Registrars and forwarded to the Philippine Statistics Authority - Provincial Statistical Offices in Region I. Information included deaths registered in January to December 2018 and January to December 2017.




  (Chief Administrative Officer)



Document Type: 




Region I