Corn Outlook in Ilocos Sur 2017 - 2018

Issue No.: 

2019 - 2

Release Date: 

Friday, May 31, 2019

The Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS) consist of two national quarterly surveys which are conducted simultaneously. These are the Palay Production Survey (PPS) and Corn Production Survey (CPS). The main objective of the PCPS is to generate estimates and forecasts of palay and corn areas, production and yield. This survey, together with other quarterly agricultural surveys was subjected to a provincial data review before submission to the regional and central office.

 

Corn production posted 11.16 percent increase for January to December 2018. Gain on corn production for the year was registered due to the effect of sufficient water from various water sources, sustained use of hybrid and OPV seeds and wider areas planted/harvested through-out the year

Total production for the year 2018 escalated to 99,476 metric tons, 9,991 metric tons higher than in 2017.

 

Corn area for January to December 2018 reached a 9.82 percent growth, more than double as compared with that in 2017. The addition in area planted/harvested with a total of 17,419 hectares with a recovery of 1,558 hectares from last years’ area planted/harvested that was slightly affected by insufficient water in the 1st semester and distressed by typhoons in the 2ndsemester.

Corn productivity for January to December 2018 reached a 1.22 percent progress, somewhat lower compared with that in 2017. Increment on corn yield/ha was registered due to the effect of sufficient water from various water sources and sustained use of hybrid and OPV seeds. Total average yield per hectare for the year 2018 slightly went up to 5.71 metric tons per hectare, 0.07 metric tons higher than in 2017.

The province had a total area of 17,419 hectares planted and harvested with corn in 2018, 81.95 percent are harvested with yellow corn with a total area planted/harvested of 14,275 hectares. On the other hand, 18.05 percent are planted/harvested with white corn with a total area of 3,144 hectares. The increasing area of both yellow and white corn in the province was attributed to the availability of seeds from the Provincial Government of Ilocos Sur (PGIS) and interventions from the Local Government Units (LGUs) and Department of Agriculture (DA).

For the year 2018, corn production of Ilocos Sur contributes 16.08 percent of the total corn production of Ilocos Region. The province is the 2nd producer of corn in the region. Pangasinan produced the largest with 65.75 percent followed by Ilocos Sur with 16.08 percent, Ilocos Norte with 11.26 percent and the least is La Union contributing only 6.91 percent to regional output.

Ilocos Region produces 560,885 metric tons of corn in 2018 with a total area harvested of 95,087 hectares. Among the four provinces comprising the Ilocos Region, Pangasinan posted 357,890 metric tons of corn with a total area harvested of 58,817 hectares, the highest among the provinces of the region followed by the province of Ilocos Sur with 99,476 metric tons and a total area of 17,419 hectares, and Ilocos Norte with 64,592 metric tons and with a total area of 11,692 hectares. La Union has the smallest production with 38,927 metric tons with a total area of 7,159 hectares.

 

 

 

Reynor R. Fernando

Chief Statistical Specialist

 

Document Type: 

PDF

Attachments: 

Division/Unit: 

Ilocos Sur

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.